This  story is incomplete,   and could take many years to complete,

This page may also take some time to load. Be patient, it's worth it.



Especially with a Photo from 1940 to 1960


Laid down by Henry Scarr Ltd, at their shipyard on the Humber, as CHANT 49 and later renamed FABRIC 49.

Launched under the name of EMPIRE FATHOM in December 1944 and completed during January 1945.


1946. She was purchased by the B.W.Steamship, Tug & Lighter Co., Craggs & Jenkins Ltd., of Hull and renamed FOSDYKE TRADER. Later during the year she was sold to the Great Yarmouth Shipping Co.,


1961. The ship has said good bye to the British Isles, and is sold to Jean P Desgagnes, of St-Joseph de la Rive, Quebec, and  renamed FORT CARILLON                                               

1970. Chartered  by Clarke Steamship Co, Ltd., to carry explosives.                                     

Halifax.  November 1991          Photo. Capt. Hubert Hall

1971.  The ship was laid up at Lle-aux-Coudres. Quebec.

1972. After survey and fully refitted  she was sold to Laurent Tremblay of  Lle-aux-Coudres, Quebec. Once again she was regaled with a new name it was JANOLYNE.


1975. Under the ownership of Transport Maritime Harvey, of Montreal she is chartered to Desgagnes Transportation Co., Ltd., The ship is now named FERMONT.

1976.The ship was reported to be carrying cargo's of aluminium, Bale Comeau to Pointe-au- Pic QC.

Lloyd's register states the owners are J.P. Benolt & G.H.Tremblay, but the Canadian List of Shipping states that the owners are still the Transport Maritime Harvey co.,

1978. Laid up at at Quebec City. There was an offer of $6,000 made for the ship by some interested Greeks, and a new V12-360 HP Detroit Diesel engine installed, but the sale was never finalised.

The Engine room

Later during the following year the ship was beached at La Petite Riviere  St Francois, and there she remained until 1986.  The ship is sold to Jean Guy Cloutier of Boucherville Quebec, the idea is to convert her into a floating restaurant. Later during the year sold once again, this time to Caboteurs Samray Inc., Longueil Quebec.

1988. Sold Earl Bisson, Sabrevois, Quebec. The ship is now no longer listed under Lloyd's  Register of Shipping.



Halifax. November 1991

The above photo was taken in  by Capt. Hubert Hall.

The events during and after 1991 are of particular interest to anyone who served at ANY time on this ship.                                                                                                                     

1991 Sold to Richard Peck, of Etowah, Tennessee. U.S.A. Mr Peck was an ex-Vietnam War Helicopter pilot. The ship was then  moved to Chambly, Quebec City.

June. The ship is now classed as a Tennessee pleasure craft, registered  as TN 9458TK. During this period, Peck entered into a deal with members of the Montreal Haitian community to carry old cars to Haiti. In view of this, the ship was  chartered to Wallace Rozefort to carry these vehicles  from Sorel to Haiti. Unfortunately this enterprise ground to a full halt when, due to a rebel uprising against the Haiti Government, Canada announced a trade embargo to Haiti.

1991. July the 24th. The Canadian Coast Guard declared the vessel as unseaworthy, and issued a detention order, the cargo of cars was unloaded.

August the 1st. The vessel sailed from Sorel without any authorization, and under  so called "Panamanian papers".

Photo. Capt. Hubert Hall

August the 2nd. The  Royal Canadian Mounted Police was alerted of the fact and set off in pursuit  by helicopter. The helicopter caught up with the ship while she was still in the St Lawrence.  As the helicopter drew level several mounties  boarded the ship. Richard Peck pulled a knife put was soon overpowered.                                                                                    

For this episode Peck was sentenced to three months in prison. (In his defence Peck stated that, "He thought the ship was under attack by pirates). The ship was arrested for breach of charter and  tied up in Quebec City.  A fortnight later Peck was released  when bail was posted, and a fine of $6,000 paid.

November the 23rd. Lloyd's Press states that  TN9458 TK left Canadian waters on November the 3rd after having sailed from Lle-aux-Coudres under the name of MON AMI and flying the Panamanian flag.

November the 7th.Arrived at Halifax, but this time as TN948 BK, and flying the United States flag

November the 8th. Left Halifax, bound for Miami.

November the 11th. Halifax. The ship returned here and moored at Museum Quay. As soon as moored she was immediately searched by Narcotics Officers, but nothing illegal was found. I am informed  that the crew were like extras in a Long John Silver movie and wanted to know where there was a YMCA, so that they could have a much needed shower. (According to the smell they certainly needed one).


The winch motor was an old tractor engine, and placed in the accommodation arch under the wheelhouse. The reason for the return  to Halifax was due to the ships Compass (a 10 dollar  plastic car dashboard  model) having melted when the illuminating lead fell on to it.


At this stage the ships papers consisted of a credit sized piece of plastic, stating that the ship was a pleasure craft registered in Tennessee. This meant that  no official no one had any jurisdiction  over the ship, except in the event of a pollution.?                                       


Photo by Capt. Hubert Hall


November the 12th. Sailed Halifax, bound for Miami.

November the 17th. Sunday. In high winds and rough seas the ship was in serious trouble, and taking on water. To prevent her sinking, the ship was run aground on  the South side of Seal Island this Island. (Seal Island is situated some 30 kilometres off the South West coast of Nova Scotia). The crew of five were rescued uninjured.

Peck and his crew stayed at the Cape Cod Colony Motel overnight in Shelbourne on the Sunday night. The following day they just simply disappeared. One can only surmise that this last voyage may have been taken under very suspicious circumstances.

To me there still appears to be some confusion  over the name, as some documents still gave  the ships name as  "FERMONT"

RCMP narcotics officers from the Yarmouth subdivision were flown out to the ship. They searched the vessel but nothing illegal was found. The condition of the ship could only be described as unbelievable. On Tuesday the 19th, two coast guard helicopters landed close to the ship with a sling and equipment to remove  some 3,000 to 4,000 gallons of diesel. The pouch-like sling for oil removal, was dropped directly on to the ships deck.


The value of this fuel was said to be in the region of $8,000. This will be pumped into oil sling and taken into storage. It was stated that there was no reason to assume that the ship would be abandoned. However the facts speak for themselves.

Did the ships owner ever go back to Seal Island?.                                                            

Did the owner collect and dispose of the  Diesel, (Worth $8,000)?.                                   

Was there any insurance claim?.                                                                                       


Photo by. Capt. Herbert Hall


RETURN HOME PORT                CONTACT   ME               RETURN TO FIRMITY